Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Before Vampires were Trendy AKA My Days as a Goth Band Manager

It's generally hard to aim for mainstream when the product thrives in the subculture genre. But well... at least we tried with this band and it was quite an experience...

I've been good friends with THE LATE ISABEL folk even before I became their "ad hoc" manager/agent back in 2004. I've been watching their gigs until one day I suddenly found myself doing marketing for the re-issue and major distribution of their first studio album "Doll's Head" and the production of their 2nd music video "My Favorite Things" -- the nightmare version of the Julie Andrews/Sound of Music classic.

The first challenge was to find sponsors to reproduce the album and a music label to distribute the CDs. This was way before "emo" and "Twilight", mind you. Peddling the idea of fashionable vampires was still unpopular. Been there done that, indeed.

Thanks to some maverick sponsors (and good friends) The Store With No Name, 6 Underground, GBX Shoes, and would you believe even the old Greenbelt Shopping Plaza, I was able to pool enough resources to produce a new music video and the re-packaged first album "Doll's Head" which now contains not just songs but also the two music videos of the band -- "Doll's Head" and the new one "My Favorite Things"

Here's the video we produced on a shoestring budget but came out quite sophisticated.

No comments: