Thursday, February 11, 2010

Channel [V] Philippines (2000)

My first real job was for Channel [V] Philippines. I still remember that fateful day in UP Diliman. I was just strolling around the campus, concerned about my future "career" (or the impending doom) when I saw this ad: Channel [V] Phil was looking for a PR Writer. So I immediately submitted my resume and went in for an interview I think all on the same day. It was just one of those things when despite the fact that the odds were against me (being a newbie and all, vying for a much coveted job) I knew that it was going to be my destiny. The same way I felt when I applied for that very competitive exchange program SSEAYP.

I remember Peachy Almario, my soon-to-be new boss at that time, telling me "There were other more experienced writers applying for this job but I like you the best because you've got the biggest personality among all of them!"

Until this day I'm really thankful to her for giving me that ONE break that I have been waiting to happen... for seeing the potential in me. After graduating from college, I really didn't know what to do with my Creative Writing Degree. The publishing industry back then was just starting to bloom. I remember submitting a resume to Summit Media's office at the old Sogo Warehouse at the corner of Pioneer and EDSA, right where Robinsons Pioneer (The Forum) is standing on now. My passion for television started with Channel [V] Philippines.

It was a big privilege to be part of the pioneering team that launched the music channel in the Philippines. As PR Associate/Writer, I directly assisted the Press Relations Director (Peachy) in the timely accomplishment of all Press and Publicity related requirements from preparing press kits, writing press releases and website content, coordinating with all media offices, to providing press material for Marketing ad Production departments. I also learned how to prepare the PR plan and to implement the required tasks within set budgets and schedules. I also got trained in client servicing at optimum level and was exposed to a highly demanding, socially-oriented industry where ensuring strong ties with the Media is the ultimate priority.

I learned all that in just a year. But more importantly I also saw how the Production Department churned out cutting edge videos and on-air plugs for the channel as you can see on the video below. That was when I knew that I should not limit myself to writing. I must learn how to be a Producer. Since I was not a Masscomm student, I barely had any idea on the technical aspects of video production but one thing's for sure -- my head was exploding with ideas. As someone who practically grew up in front of the television and is a certified pop junkie, I knew the pulse of the youth.


So it didn't take long before I got another break (to be a Producer this time) from Channel [V]'s rival MTV... Now that's another blog entry altogether.

1 comment:

Vince Golangco said...

Oh wow! Cool story!

So who's a better boss? Channel V or MTV...? =P